Christmas is right around the corner and it’s the right time to get started with getting yourself a Christmas tree and start taking care of it.
Buying a Christmas tree is not just enough as taking proper care of it is also really important to keep the Christmas tree fresh and alive by the time Christmas comes in.
So if you are searching for ways on how to water a Christmas tree, then today we bring you 5 different tips and tricks which can help you to water a Christmas tree like a Pro.
Note from Joe: I’ve had some terrible experiences in the last few years with my Christmas trees. They would just dry out or die. Leaves would just start falling off. I did have some knowledge about trees, but I wouldn’t call myself an expert in any way. So, I started reading some books and did some research on the internet. And followed what I found last year with some very good results. So, in this post, I will be sharing my top 5 tips that I found to be very effective to water your Christmas trees so that they won’t dry out. Let’s get started!
How to Water a Christmas tree like a Pro?
Below are some really useful tips on how to water a Christmas tree so as to keep your Christmas tree lively the entire time.
- Be sure not to use water that is softened. There are many water softener reviews out there that claims softened water to be best for Christmas trees. However, softened water is not good for Christmas trees or any other plant in general as softened water will lack all the necessary natural minerals that plants require in order to stay nourished. If the water in your home is softened, then you can use distilled water while watering your plants.
- The Christmas tree that you buy was cut days or maybe weeks ago. When the trees are cut, the pitch from the tree flows out and seals the tree pores that absorb water. So, after buying a Christmas tree, make sure to cut a few inches from the tree trunk bottom before you set the Christmas tree in water so as to open up the closed pores and ensure that the tree can absorb water properly.
- Watering is really important to keep a Christmas tree fresh. A Christmas tree that is freshly cut can consume about a gallon of water in just about a day. To make sure that the Christmas tree is always provided with ample water, fill the stand of the tree with water and do make sure that the water level does not lower down below the base of the tree.
- Many people have tried mixing water with sugar, corn syrup, aspirin, and even vodka and using this mixture to water the Christmas tree. Even though some may claim success in keeping the tree fresh, most of the experts say that there is no actual benefit of mixing anything with water. The actual key player is the water itself and if you use water that is not softened and rich in minerals, then that is more than enough to keep the Christmas tree alive for a long period of time.
- Christmas trees live longer and consume less amount of water if they are placed somewhere that is away from a direct heat source. If you have bought the Christmas tree home a few days before actually having to display it, then do place the tree in a place that does not receive direct sunlight and is also away from heat sources like fireplaces, heat vents and heaters etc.
My Final Words on Watering a Christmas Tree
The above article featured some very useful tips on how to water a Christmas tree like a Pro. Hope you found the article interesting and in case you have some of your own tips on watering Christmas trees, do share them as comments below so as to help the readers better.